We need more of this!

African Diaspora Study Abroad 

Working Abroad: Countries With The Best Job Prospects ...  
  photo credits: Students.com.ng 

I was supposed to post a new blog as a sequel to the "Year of Return", but I'm having little luck with finding more information. As I was thinking of a topic to post,  I remembered Dr. Fitzgerald talking about the lack of cultural studies (such as Chicano Studies, Africana studies, Asian studies, etc) in higher education. This was the kind of topic that sat with me for the majority of the day. I was slightly frustrated and yet saddened to think that schools are slowly getting rid of such programs. 

Now you're probably wondering-"where are you getting at Damaris?" 
Here me out for a just a little bit more. 

Students of color who are looking to connect and learn about their ancestors/identity need to have the ability to access the resources from their institution. Fast forward, I came across an article where several universities had sponsered a study abroad trip for those of the African diaspora. Students from the University of Oregon, Xavier, and Southern Universities will go on a two-part trip to New Orleans and Ghana. The purpose of this trip is to expose students to the history of slavery and being brought from Africa. I was truly amazed by the program because it isn't an ordinary study abroad. It actually allows for students to become engaged and enriched with history and culture.  

I hope that more programs can be implemented at universities across the nation. Students like myself are craving such programs and without the support of our schools, we are destined to starve from the lack of culture.



Comments

Popular Posts